OYAMA COMMUNITY CLUB
The Oyama Community Club is run by a group of dedicated volunteers who are elected on a yearly basis. The hall and grounds are located in Oyama on the isthmus between Kalamalka and Wood Lakes.
The O.C.C supports and works in conjuction with many different groups and activites. The hall is a comunity resource that is utilized for many public gatherings such as elections, community forums, weddings and memorials. Some of our current events include, Commuity Spring Clean Up, Oyama Fun Day, Halloween Howl, and Turkey Bingo. Please check out our events page for more information.
The Oyama Community Club also cares for the Oyama Cemetary located on Oyama Road. The club was granted this property on December 5th, 1955. The property was once owned by The Diocese of Kootenay.
The Oyama Community Club was originally formed as the Kalamalka Agricultural Association on February 21st, 1914, when a charter was granted to the association as a non-profit society. About thirty years later the name was changed to the Oyama Community Club and has remained so to date.
We now have a community hall, which is twice as large as our old one. The original hall was built together a little bit at a time and served the community for nearly a century. Our hall addition was completed in 1984, and was built with the aid of Federal and Provincial government grants. This renovation was done completely by hand including the foundation preparation in cooperation with a Canada Works project and local volunteer labor.